Localization, or L10N, engineering is an important part of the professional localization process. Localization projects range from Product L10N to Software L10N, some need DTP work, some need coding, and some need printing. Localization engineers are specially trained to work with a variety of software tools, file types, and OS platforms to support the localization of their client's wide range of product portfolios.
"Experience and Knowledge is Invaluable."
Among the various tasks conducted by localization engineers:
- File prep and analysis (word count, TM leverages)
- Post File Processing
- Compilation and engineering (software builds, dialog box resizing)
- Cosmetic testing
- File conversions (clean/uncleaned files, preparation for DTP)
- Customization of TM tools
Localization engineers must be equipped with in-depth knowledge of different OS (Windows, Mac, Linux), software utilities, translation tools, development environments and multiple programming languages.
Localization Engineers excel at the following:
- Working knowledge of installation/configuration of multilingual OS and platforms
- Experience with a variety of development environments and programming languages such as Microsoft Visual Studio, Java, and Linux
- Intimate knowledge of internationalization (i18n), Unicode and multi-byte character issues in software development
- Detailed understanding of database systems, scripting languages, and software graphical interface development
- Experience with different installation programs such as InstallShield, WISE and InstallerMaker over different platforms
Being technical is an important differentiation between CSOFT and other localization companies who, in fact, only do translation.
Using our creative approach to problem solving, CSOFT L10N engineering capabilities help our clients shorten time-to-market and reduce overall project costs. They also help streamline localization workflow and greatly improve the consistency and quality of localization projects.